The walk towards Polygon Wood crosses the new park area created in 2014 after which heritage and cemeteries in and around Polygon Wood are visited. Along the walk are several information carriers telling you the history of Zonnebeke. Both WWI and non-WWWI. The wheelchair-accessible Polygon Wood walk is 4.6 km.
Download the walking map here.
Accessible paths and sanitary facilities
The walking loop starts and ends at the Castle Building is on accessible paths. The type of surface is indicated on the plan and is mainly paved. The semi-paved sections are of such quality with fine crushed stone to make it doable for wheelchair users.
There are accessible toilets in the Castle Building (free) and the Castle Estate (free) at the start and at the end of the walk.
We recommend a companion. Although there are no obstacles and few thresholds larger than 2 cm along the route, some sections have a gradient greater than 5%.
- Start: Castle building Zonnebeke
- Distance: 4.5 km
- Food: You can get something to eat and drink at the Zonnebeke ReCa in the centre of Zonnebeke.
- Parking: Accessible parking spaces have been set up in car park 2 of the Castle Estate located at Berten Pilstraat 5C, 8980 Zonnebeke.
- Passchendaele Memorial Gardens
- Landscape and War
- Passchendaele mud
- Polygon Wood
- Polygon Wood Cemetery
- New Zealand Bunkers
- Scott Post
- Buttes New British Cemetery
- Polderhoek Chateau
- New Zealand Frontline
- Pipark ‘In The Star
- Broodseinde Ridge
- Can be guided