Mills are good lookouts in 1914. They can also be used to transmit signals. Most mills are therefore a target for artillery. On 27 October 1914, the Geluveld mill is destroyed by the Germans. Gunner Dinkel shoots it to pieces from the hamlet of ‘Oude Hond’, over 2.5 km from here.
Two days later, the Germans attack Geluveld. British troops successfully defend the village, but on 31 October 1914 it must still be abandoned.
The German Infantry Regiment 105 that took Geluveld subsequently built its own monument in this area. During the Third Battle of Ypres, every trace of it disappears.
After the war, two monuments are erected here to the South Wales Borderers and the Worcesters, who had defended Geluveld in 1914.
- Part of the Geluveld walking route
- Can be guided