The knowledge centre is housed in the former presbytery of Zonnebeke, a modernist building designed by Huib Hoste. It is a place where researchers, students and the curious can go with their questions about the region’s wartime past and heritage.
Collection of the Knowledge Centre
The knowledge centre comprises two large collections that preserve the heritage and past of Zonnebeke and its boroughs. On the one hand, there is the documentation centre of the Passchendaele Museum, with many reference works and archives dealing with the First World War and the Third Battle of Ypres (1917) in particular. You can consult the inventory here.
You will find the library and archive of the Zonnebeekse Heemvrienden. That collection consists of heritage works as well as magazines and other sources on local history. You can consult the online catalogue via ‘documentation centre’ on their website.
Naast een uitgebreide bibliotheek omvatten de collecties foto’s en kaartmateriaal, waaronder ook loopgravenkaarten en luchtfoto’s uit eigen en externe archieven. De collecties richten zich op Zonnebeke en haar deelgemeenten.
The collection of the Zonnebeek Heemvrienden and the digital inventories of photos and maps as well as maps and aerial photos in GIS can only be consulted in the knowledge centre. An overview of photos and maps in the museum collection can be consulted via the online collection catalogue. The catalogue is currently incomplete and is being supplemented.
- Monday to Thursday from 1 p.m. to 4.30 p.m.
- By appointment via T 0032 (0)51 77 04 41
Yearly closed from 16 December or 1
- Closed on public holidays and bridging days
- Due to overtaking, maps and photos are not currently freely available for consultation. Please make an appointment in advance at [email protected] or T 0032 (0)51 77 04 41
- Karen Derycke: scientific assistant knowledge centre
- Lee Ingelbrecht: scientific employee knowledge centre